Orwell Award Announcement SusanOhanian.Org Home

Governor Chafee: You said no to the Iraq war, say no to zero tolerance education

Ohanian Comment: You can help out the people in Providence, RI who are trying to stop this Charter Management Organization from draining funds from public schools by signing their petition to the governor. You can find out more about Achievement First by putting those two words into a search on this site. Start here.

Why This Is Important

The people of Rhode Island need your help in encouraging Governor Chafee to take the lead in saying no to the top-down, zero-tolerance, corporate-backed take over of public education. Achievement First (AF), a Charter Management Organization (CMO) that embraces a zero-tolerance education model, is currently trying to expand into Rhode Island. AF, like other zero-tolerance CMO's, supports the use of shunning and harsh discipline to control students, hurts the development of student voice and critical thinking skills, limits parental involvement in teaching and learning, creates high levels of student and teacher attrition, serves few high need students, and drains needed financial resources from traditional public schools (see www.wecanri.net for blog postings, testimonials, and the facts about AF). . . .

— WeCanRI.org





This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of education issues vital to a democracy. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.