Orwell Award Announcement SusanOhanian.Org Home

[Susan notes: We need a volume of Krashen letters. They are a model of informed response to big issues.]

Submitted to Detroit Free Press but not published

To the editor

The US Dept. of Education just announced a

"relaxation" in NCLB (No Child Left Behind)

requirements: Children acquiring English as a second language no longer have to be tested in English their first year in school. Michigan educators interviewed by the Free Press feel that this is not enough time and recommend waiting three years ("Teachers: Year to learn English isn't enough, "March 4).

The research is on their side. Study after study shows that one year is nowhere near enough time to acquire enough English to do regular class-work and to show competence on standardized tests. Children acquire some "conversational" language in one year, but academic language, the language of story problems and social studies texts, is much more complex.

Most children starting in kindergarten generally take about three years to acquire enough academic language to join the mainstream, using bilingual or "immersion" methods. For those entering later, it takes longer, because the curriculum is more demanding. "Loosening" the requirement sends the false message that NCLB officials now understand the situation and are being more realistic. In reality, the more "flexible" one-year requirement sets children up for failure and wastes time and money on tests that tell us nothing.

Stephen Krashen

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of education issues vital to a democracy. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.