Orwell Award Announcement SusanOhanian.Org Home

[Susan notes: Why not? Why not just put a sticker on diplomas: Failed/Passed Corporate test?]

Published in Arizona Republic

To the editor

Regarding all the hoopla and politics regarding the "AIMS" test:

How about this: Take Tom Horne's idea of "stickers" on diplomas one step further, and add another sticker that says "Failed AIMS." Then, without further penalty, award the student his or her diploma.

After 10 years, see if awarding a diploma to a kid who had completed all the requirements for graduation except passing AIMS made any difference. I guarantee it will not. AIMS does not predict success in life.


And, to you high school students who are struggling with this politicians' input into your lives, don't sweat it. You can still attend college, get a job, and have a great life without passing AIMS. Work hard, get the best grades you are capable of, go to school, and if you can't pass AIMS, well, there's the GED.

If enough of you quit making your lives miserable worrying about a test that has no real-life validity, eventually the politicians will get the message that your academic lives are beyond their control. Remember the '60s?

Oh, and with a bachelor's, two master's and a doctorate degree from Arizona State University, and having worked successfully in education and the courts for over 40 years - I don't have a high school diploma.

Power to the students!

Ken Cole

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of education issues vital to a democracy. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.