Orwell Award Announcement SusanOhanian.Org Home

NCLB Outrages

Calling All Parents

Parents in Florida are calling for parents to question McGraw Hill, graders of the FCAT, on just how those tests are graded.

In Colorado, the Coalition for Better Education is calling on parents to write similar letters regarding the CSAP.

Here's a letter Colorado parents could use
to start the process of investigating who and how the tests are graded. Parents could start by addressing a letter to Commissioner of Education Moloney with copies to the members of the State Board of Education. Don Perl of CSAP suggests that parents who are interested can contact him when they've written the letter and then he will establish a network.

Moloney's address is

Colorado Department of Education, 201 East Colfax Avenue, Room 500, Denver, CO 80203

The letter could say something like this:

Dear Commissioner Moloney:

I am writing to request access to my childís scored CSAP answer sheets and test booklets for 2006, under the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which guarantees parentsí rights to review education records, including state assessments, within 45 days of the time the request is made.

The relevant information you will need to process my request is included below.

Studentís Name:

School District:

School Name:

Student ID Number (if known):

Parentís Name:

Street Address:

City, State ZIP:



Thanks for your prompt attention to this request.


— Don Perl
Coalition for Better Education e-mail list


This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of education issues vital to a democracy. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.