Government Calls Schools Failing; Parents Call Them Good
Driven by fear of uprooting their children and dissatisfaction with their choices, few Kentucky parents appear motivated to pull their children from 28 federally identified failing schools. . . .
"It sounds simple: 'Take kids at schools that are not performing well and move them to schools that are performing at higher levels,'" sa... [MORE]
Parents' Fears Likely to Prevent Exodus
October 28, 2002
- New School Isn't Just for the Well-to-Do (-10-17)
- Fayette County Promises Every Child on the Same Page (2003-08-19)
- Kentucky School Districts Suing Legislature for Funding (2003-09-18)
- Kentucky Commission on Human Rights Faults State Department of Education and Local School Districts (2003-09-29)
- "Meeting in Boone Co. to Explore Cuts (2003-11-28)
- High Court Throws Out No-pass, No-drive (2003-12-19)
- Misplaced Decimal Point Grossly Inflated Suspension Rates (2004-02-04)
- Schools' Job Cuts Too Crucial to Mess Up (2004-02-25)
- Critics Give GED Plan 'F' (2004-04-11)
- The Problem with Portfolios (2004-05-26)
- Kentucky GED Plan Ties Tests to CATS (2004-06-01)
- High Schools in the Money Also Are Rich in Sports Titles: Least Affluent Teams Win Half as Many Trophies (2004-06-17)
- Critics: GED Program Will Dump Struggling Students (2004-08-12)
- At a Frontier of School Reform, Getting Millions, Seeking More (2004-12-06)
- Ready to Tackle Problem (2005-01-14)
- Kentucky Schools Want to Scrap CATS (2005-01-29)
- Along with scores, anxiety a concern as CATS testing begins (2005-04-17)
- High-stakes tests net high-anxiety children (2005-04-18)
- Boot camp for principals (2005-07-28)
- Protests bring back Keillor show (2005-08-13)
- Weld Blames Government for Failure of School He Led (2005-11-18)
- Kentucky to Require Posting Ten Commandments in Schools and Other Public Buildings (2006-03-10)
- Truck Driving School Run By Former Decker Officials Changes Name, Keeps Operating (2006-06-02)
- Handicapped by poverty (2007-09-02)
- Bearing false witness (2007-09-15)
- Principal rescinds new discipline policy (2007-11-16)
- End of the Road: After Detroit, the wreck of an American Dream (2009-08-01)
- A Call for Public Agitation Over School Issues. (July 2, 2003)
- Calling Some of These Schools Low-performing Is Idiotic and Amateurish (July 3, 2002)
- Kentucky Mixes Up Report Cards (March 3, 2003)
- Government Calls Schools Failing; Parents Call Them Good (October 28, 2002)
A Kentucky Principal Answers, "How Do I Know If My Child's School is Good?"
How do you know if your child's school is good? I ask this question at parent meetings and the answers I receive are usually
* Does my child love the teacher and does the teacher love my child?
*Is the climate of the school comfortable?
* Does my child feel safe?
* Is my child learning to get... [MORE]
No Research Listed
Stand up for your libraries Fight the library threat the old-fashioned way - with a petition drive and pressure on lawmakers
<br><span class="red"><b>Ohanian Comment:</b> What could be more outrageous: Having to fight for the existence of libraries.
<br>Kudos to <i>Cincinnati Enquirer</i> editorial for their position.
<br>The comments section has several strong statements supporting the... [MORE]
No Resisters' Letters Listed
Reluctantly, Kentucky Changing Its Education Plan to Satisfy Feds
Ohanian Note: I don't offer any opinion on Kentucky's previous plan. All I know is it is what they chose. Now they are supposed to contort themselves into the federal plan. What's happening to democracy? Why are we allowing schools of the feds, by the feds, and for big business to take over the land?
Kentucky to set new math, reading goals
June 11, 2003
Kentucky Reform Group Worries NCLB will Dismantle Reforms
Ohanian Comment: Be careful what you wish for. All these complaints about NCLB, including NEA's, are about money. With all the money imaginable, NCLB is still an atrocity.
LUCAS - Kentucky's best-known education-reform group began gearing up yesterday to battle what its leaders described as grave threats t... [MORE]
NCLB In Your Face
School reform threats targeted
July 14, 2003
No Child Left Behind Scores Are Irrelevant
No Special Needs News Listed
No Special Needs Info Listed
No Special Commentaries Listed